How and When to Wear
- Invisalign ONLY works when you are wearing them. We recommend you wear your aligners FULL TIME, day and night. The only time the aligners should be out of your mouth is when you are eating and drinking, brushing and flossing or cleaning them.
- Wear each aligner as directed by the doctor. It is very important that you never go to the next aligner in less then the directed time. Even though it may seem that the current aligner is loose and no longer moving your teeth, it may take longer for the roots to catch up with the crown of the tooth.
Insertion and Removal
- Make sure you have the proper aligner. U for upper and L for lower in the proper number sequence. They are labeled very small on each aligner.
- When inserting, gently push the aligners over your front teeth. Then, apply pressure to the tops of the left and right molars until they snap into place. DO NOT bite your aligners into place.
- Make sure each aligners is ALL THE WAY DOWN and fully seated. You should not see any space between the edge of the tooth and the edge of the aligner. If the aligner is not fully in place, the teeth will not move properly and the next aligner will be even further off. This can waste many weeks of treatment and even cause starting over with possible extra fees.
- To remove the aligners, pull off equally on both sides of the back teeth first, and then gently lift off the front teeth. Always rinse the aligners in cold water and store in the proper container. To prevent damage, avoid unnecessary removal. Do NOT use sharp objects to remove your aligners.
- Always place the aligners in the cases provided. Never place aligners in napkins or any other case. Never place in a pocket that can be sat on.
- Always keep your previous aligner. This is just in case you lose your current aligner, the doctor may request you to return to the previous aligner while we ordering you new ones.
- If you lose an aligner, call your doctor and wear the previous aligner if available.
Care of Aligners
- Clean your aligners prior to each insertion. You can use a normal tooth brush. Rinse under running water and brush until clean.
- Never use denture cleaner or soak in alcohol or bleach, as they will be damaged.
- Do not place aligners in boiling or hot water to clean, as they will be damaged.
1) Oral Hygiene: Brush and floss normally with the aligners out. Try to brush after eating and before re-inserting aligners. Large food particles may prevent proper insertion.
2) Eating: There are no food restrictions with Invisalign. However, aligners must ALWAYS be removed when eating.
3) Drinking: Except for cold or room temp water, always remove aligners while drinking anything. Any fluid will get inside the aligner and be held against your teeth possibly for hours and can cause staining or damage the teeth and aligners.
4) Chewing Gum: Do NOT chew gum while wearing aligners.
5) Smoking: It is advised NOT to smoke while wearing the aligners. It will stain the aligners and teeth.
6) If any attachments break off, do not worry. Continue with wearing your trays and inform the doctor at the next appointment.
If you have any trouble with your treatment, please call the office.